Sunday, February 20, 2011

You have a mission

Imagine for a moment that you enter a whole new world and the person at the customs tells you to "Go ahead and do it". No detail, no direction, no plan - just "Go ahead and do it". How would you feel? Confused? Directionless? Frustrated? Uncertain? There was a time in my life when I didn't know what the purpose was of my life, when I didn't know what the plan of mortality was or what my role was in this life. And yes, I felt confused, uncertain, frustrated and certainly directionless.

Now I see life very differently. I now know that our kind Heavenly Father has designed a plan for each of us - a plan to bring us peace and joy - a plan that He has designed knowing our particular set of strengths and weaknesses, talents and interests, likes and dislikes, to ensure that we can succeed . . . just so long as we stay close to Him. Bishop H. Burke Peterson said "There are things for each of you to do that no one else can do as well as you. . . . If you will let Him, I testify that our Father in Heaven will walk with you through the journey of life and inspire you to know your special purpose here."

Heavenly Father does not leave us without help to begin to recognise and then learn to understand our personal mission on earth. He encourages us to pray and to listen for answers, to study scriptures, offers us promptings through the Holy Ghost and most importantly, has provided us with a church within which we can associate with like-minded people who are also trying to follow our Heavenly Father's plan.

In order to succeed in our prersonal mission though, we need to develop and maintain an ongoing relationship with our Father in Heaven. That way, we can get the help and direction that we need along the way. Instead of being told "Go ahead and do it", our Father in Heaven will travel along our life journey with us - warning us of danger, prompting us to do good, confirming good decisions with a feeling of soul satisfying peace and strengthening us with His love each step of the way.

A song that my daughters sing at church comes to mind:

My life is a gift; my life has a plan.
My life has a purpose; in heaven it began.
My choice was to come to this lovely home on earth.
And seek for God's light to direct me from birth.

I will follow God's plan for me.
Holding fast to his word and his love.
I will work, and I will pray;
I will always walk in his way.
Then I will be happy on earth.
And in my home above.

1 comment:

  1. Bishop H. Burke Peterson said "There are things for each of you to do that no one else can do as well as you. . . . If you will let Him, I testify that our Father in Heaven will walk with you through the journey of life and inspire you to know your special purpose here." I Love This. Thank you Kim.
    R xxx

    ReplyDelete