Monday, December 20, 2010

Lessons learned

Yesterday at church, Bishop Craig Owen shared a few thoughts with us, which I thought were just perfect for this blog. With his permission, I share his thoughts below:
When I read the Christmas story, I marvel at the faith of Mary and Joseph. We know the story . . . we know the outcomes . . . we have the benefit of 2 043 years of hindsight, including the fulfillment of the prophecies. And despite all this evidence, many don’t believe. But there they were . . . in that pivotal moment in history. They must have asked themselves: Could it really be ME who has been chosen? Is this to be MY work? Of ALL the people in the world, it is to be ME??
Well, now it is our turn to fulfill our destiny. It is incumbent upon us, because we know, to follow His example. As I look back on what I have learned this year, it is that the Lord loves us unconditionally . . . and when we are like Him, we will love unconditionally too. We will love our enemies, as He has commanded us to do. That is our mountain to climb, if we reach that peak, we will have become what we need to be! It means being quick to forgive, to take our comfort, not from the world, but from ourselves and our God. It means being generous and making sacrifices.
There are some other things that I have learned this year and I offer them as suggestions for an even happier 2011:
1. Choose faith over pessimism and negativity. When you come across something difficult, smile . . . breathe deeply . . . remind yourself of all the good in your life and be grateful.
2. Recognise that all of us are imperfect. We can all find something wrong with the people around us. And they will find something wrong with us too by the way. Leave that behind and focus on their goodness, their faithful acts. When the moat in their eye is capturing your attention, you are headed for disappointment and pain. So, when someone makes a negative comment, at least think of a positive one and smile before you reply.
3. Stop for a second and think that putting something on Facebook is similar to writing on the front page of the local paper – it’s not your private journal.
4. Take steps to solve problems. The Lord said “Come and knock and I shall open unto thee.” These are action words, we need to come and we need to knock . . .  what are you doing this week to come and to knock?
5. When you are confronted by a problem, take a personal inventory first – am I praying with specific requests? Am I studying the words of the prophets and apostles regularly enough and with real intent? Am I following the prophets with my best obedience?
I have felt like a companion to some of you this year as you have travelled hard paths, but our true companion and the comfort we seek, is with the Saviour. Some resist, or think it must be more complicated than that, but it is not. The natural man and Satan complicate salvation or deny it. The supernal answer is to simply believe that Jesus was, born as part of His Father’s plan, all God and all Man, to become the Savior and redeemer of the world. We then go about being obedient and grateful. We can align ourselves with the Saviour and His redeeming power from any circumstances we may find ourselves in: in poverty or wealth, from China or England, from a hospital or an Olympic podium, from a family or as an individual. It is universal and infinite.
In Matthew 11:28-30, the Savior says: “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me: for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
This is my basic message to each of you, wherever you live, whatever your joys or sorrows, however young or old you may be, at whatever point you may find yourself: May we come unto Him and His gospel and be healed. And may we do more to heal others in the process. When the storms of life make this difficult, may we still follow His bidding to “Come”, keeping our eye fixed on Him forever and single to His glory. In doing so, we will walk triumphantly over the swelling waves of life’s difficulties and remain unterrified amid any rising winds of despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment