Sunday, December 19, 2010

My Christmas gift

Each year I look forward to the Christmas message which is broadcast by the church – it always helps me to keep my focus on the true meaning of Christmas. With all there is to do in the weeks running up to Christmas, it is easy to get lost in the details and to miss the spiritual feast which this season offers.
So, as my Christmas gift to you, I thought that each day leading up to Christmas, I would share portions of some of the Christmas messages which touched my heart (that is, if all goes according to plan). I hope that you will come back every day this week and that the posts will help to strengthen your faith, anchor your focus on the Saviour and enrich your Christmas this year.
The first Christmas message that I would like to share a portion of was from this year’s broadcast entitled “The Gift of a Saviour” (Eyring, 2010). It really made me stop and think about what I could give to the Saviour this Christmas to give Him joy. It says:
“The spirit of Christmas . . . puts in our hearts a desire to give joy to other people. We feel a spirit of giving and gratitude for what we have been given. The celebration of Christmas helps us keep our promise to always remember Him and His gifts to us. And that remembrance creates a desire in us to give gifts to Him.
He has told us what we could give Him to bring Him joy. First, we can, out of faith in Him, give a broken heart and a contrite spirit. We can repent and make sacred covenants with Him. Within the sound of my voice are some who have felt His invitation to the peace His gospel brings but have not yet accepted it. You would give Him joy if you would act now to come unto Him while you can.
Second, you can give Him the gift of doing for others what He would do for them. Many of you have already done that and felt His appreciation. It may have been visiting a lonely widower. It may have been joining with others in a project to help those in need.
There is a long list of possibilities in the book of Matthew. There we read words from our Redeemer, which we all hope to hear and to speak when we see Him after this life:
“Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? Or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? Or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
In those words the Lord makes clear what gifts we might give Him out of our gratitude. Each act of kindness to anyone becomes a kindness to Him because He loves all of Heavenly Father’s children. And because that brings joy to Him, it also brings joy to His Father, to whom we owe thanks beyond measure.
Many of you will in the Christmas season find ways to give food to people who are hungry. As you do, you bring joy to the Lord. Yet He taught us that there is a way to give an even more priceless and lasting gift. He said, “I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.” With all the kindnesses we give for Him, the greatest we can offer is to point those we love and serve toward Him, the only source of eternal life.”
So, for 2010, I would like to point you towards the Saviour, Jesus Christ. I know that He is the only source of true peace and joy in this life and that he offers us the greatest gift of all, eternal life. I hope that my posts this week help you to draw closer to the Saviour and strengthen your faith. If you would like to know more about how to develop a relationship with the Saviour, please send me a message and I will help to put you in contact with someone from your area that could chat with you.

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas to you, too! This is a great way to share in such a beautiful season. Thanks heaps.

    ReplyDelete